DOROTHY MAY EMERSON, MINISTER
Rev. Dr. Dorothy Emerson is a semi-retired Unitarian Universalist minister. She and her spouse Donna co-founded Rainbow Solutions to promote socially responsible investing as an important tool for social change and to offer consulting services to support those who want their lifestyles and business practices, as well as their money, to reflect their core values. Now that Donna and associates have launched Rainbow Investment Solutions, the focus of Rainbow Solutions is on Dorothy’s ministry and publications.
Dorothy gives public lectures and leads workshops and worship services. She also performs weddings, funerals and memorial services, child dedications, and a variety of other special rituals. She specializes in interfaith ceremonies personally designed to suit your needs and reflect your values.
Dorothy has edited and published feature articles and books. She also helped create programs to help adults grow spiritually and gain insight into ways to implement their values in daily life. See Women of Wisdom for information about her most recent program, and Sea Change for her latest book, scheduled for publication later this year.
In addition to her ministry, Dorothy is active in community organizations:
NAACP, Mystic Valley Area Branch
Zonta Club of Medford, an affiliate of Zonta International
Sustainable Business Network of Massachusetts
Medford Chamber of Commerce
WAND, Women’s Action for New Directions
In her free time, she enjoys time with family and friends, traveling, reading mysteries by women, and exploring nature’s beauty.
- ···Called to Community: New Directions in Unitarian Universalist Ministry, with Anita Farber-Robertson, UU Society for Community Ministries, 2013
- ···Glorious Women: Award-Winning Sermons about Women, iUniverse, 2004
- ···Standing Before Us: Unitarian Universalist Women and Social Reform, 1776–1936, Skinner House, 2000
- ··· A Matter of Preference: A Book About the Myers-Briggs Type Indicator, 4th ed., New Directions, 1986
- ··· “Seeds of Opportunity,” UU World magazine, Spring 2006
- ··· “The Microcredit Revolution,” UU World magazine, March/April 2005
- ··· “Money and the Meaning of Life,” “Money and Relationships,” Natural Awakenings magazine, 2006
- ···"Anti-Racism as a Spiritual Practice,” Everyday Spiritual Practices, Skinner House, 1999
Adult Education Programs
- ··· Becoming Women of Wisdom: Marking the Passage into the Crone Years, Rainbow Solutions, 2009
- ··· Global Literacy Project: Weaving a U*U Global Village Network, online curriculum, International Convocation of Unitarian Universalist Women, 2008
- ··· Creating a Just Economic Community, six-session adult curriculum on economic justice, Unitarian Universalists for a Just Economic Community, 2001